Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

NaNoWriMo

We are halfway through the month, but I am not halfway through my writing goal for National Novel Writer's Month. I was doing great for the first nine days, totally on track. Then I got busy with real life. Then I played some Bejeweled. Then I procrastinated (I read The Taker by Alma Katsu -- a disturbingly haunting story).

This weekend I plan to get back on track. I'm using NaNo as a platform to push myself to produce. I am not actually 'competing' since I'm continuing my existing work in progress, Possessing Karma (still not sold on that name). As I read other blogs about NaNo prep and schedules, I feel a little like a fraud because I don't do any of that. Yes, I have my rough outline (from which I have deviated like nobody's business), but I have no spreadsheets, flowcharts, or sacred writing hours. I just write -- which is what I've always done.

Right this moment, I'm blogging as a warm up to writing. Coffee is almost ready, the dishwasher's runing, and I'm caught up on work for the time being -- ready to write.

Do you have ways your prepare for writing sessions?

4 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I do a lot of thinking, note taking, tea drinking, and then remove any other living person from the house. Then I can write.

Yolanda Renée said...

I disappear into my mind and time passes, people come and go, conversations are even held, but once I'm in the zone -- nothing else really makes an impression. And then sometimes no matter how I try I can't open the door to that room and nothing gets on the page.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I have to finish all the stuff I DON'T want to do before I sit down and write. That includes exercising and showering. I'd love to just get up and write in my pjs, but then I'd never get anything else done!

Good luck on reaching your word goal.

A.T. Post said...

I've been perpetually 3,000-8,000 words behind on NaNoWriMo so far. Why? Because I'm a pantser. I don't plan apart from making a rough outline, a basic synopsis.

The exception to this rule is my magnum opus, my 21-book science fiction series, which I'm planning out in excruciating detail. I have notes, maps, and numerous addenda. I just need to organize all this crap into flowcharts and outlines.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...