Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Dear Cary Elwes,


Cary Elwes

I have to say that I am disappointed that time has affected you the way it does the rest of us mere mortals.

My teenage infatuation was first peaked with your young Dudley followed by your spectacular Wesley.  Who knew the simple phrase, "As you wish" could hold so much promise?  No one else could have played it like you.  No one.

Time passed but the twinkle in your eye, your constant knowing smirk, and your smooth BBC cultured voice remained constant.  Whether your were dancing in tights, chasing a storm, or wooing uber-sexual Lucy, you were suave. In character yet always Cary Elwes.

The passage of time slapped me in the face while watching Psych. What happened?  You are not allowed to be almost fifty. You are required by the law of romantic daydreams to remain forever between 28 and 38.  It was almost difficult to enjoy your Despereaux.  Perhaps it was the reminder of my own aging that bothered me more than the fact that you no longer have a 30" waist.

Josh Dallas
I write this today because last night I actually went to the movies (gasp) and saw Thor. It was not the cheesy action movie with eye candy I expected but a well balanced hero's journey full of humor, angst, and sexual tension (thank you Kenneth Branagh).  It also included 29 year old Josh Dallas with a little baby handle-bar mustache in the role of Fandral.  Cultured British accent - check. Quirky smile - check. Twinkle in the eye - check. He did not ask the ice giant whether or not he had six fingers on his left hand, but I could tell he wanted to.


Josh Dallas
Although infatuation worthy in his own right, his similarity to young you bothers me.  Maybe if I was a teenager now I would latch on to his twinkle, smirk, and (fake) British-ness, but the grown up me sees him as a cheap (but attractive) imitation.

I may not know how to pronounce your name, I remain faithful to the crush of my youth. I will still use you as a basis for character development, but I will probably stick with the earlier version of you instead of the current. In case you are curious, you have been cast as the recurring character of Kit Hatton.
Cary Elwes

5 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

Stop by my blog. I've given you an award. :)

Josh Dallas does favor Cary Elwes a bit, doesn't he? I never really followed many of Elwes' movies, but I have seen him in "Robin Hood, Men in Tights" only because it's probably my son's most favorite Mel Brooks movie!

mary said...

That was awesome - I real from-the-heart message.

Leah Rae Miller said...

This was great! (Even though I don't necessarily agree about Thor, lol) I know exactly how you feel. Cary Elwes will always be Wesley in my mind. *le sigh* Now I shall throw on Princess Bride while I fold clothes. Well done :)

Raquel Byrnes said...

Oh, Wesley. I was so enraptured. I had a super time watching Thor with you, Erin.

Great..great, post!

Kathleen said...

I just don't even know who Wesley is. That's how old I am. I don't think I've ever seen this Cary Elwes guy...he looks just slightly familiar. Now, if you wanted to talk about Leif Garrett or Sean Cassidy or even Randolph Mantooth, then I could give you a run for your money.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...