Pages

Friday, March 9, 2018

The Busiest Time of My Year

Courtly Scandals is due to release on March 19th, 2018. My first book, Courtly Pleasures, was released on my mother's birthday, which made the release date that much more special. March 19th, specifically, is not personally significant to me other than it is the spring equinox. While I find that a little magical, what March 19th is, for practical reasons, one of the busiest times of my year. Why? St. Patrick's month.

My daughters have been active in Irish dance for 7 years. Most of the time that means practices in the evening and competitions here and there on weekends. It means wigs, shoes, dresses, and sometimes a fake tan. This is so normal for me that it's not hectic (although dance moms at their first feis might disagree). St. Patrick's day, however, means multiple performances, sometimes two in a day. THIS is hectic. The driving (So. Much. Driving.), the hair, the costume prep, and trying to get them to eat in between point A and point B - it feels like a race where I won't win anything but I'll be letting everyone down if I fail. At least this year I'm not making dance costumes as well.

That said, it's wonderful for the dancers to perform instead of compete. We go to retirement facilities, medical centers, churches, fundraisers, and wineries. The girls love it, the audience is always left in awe of the dancer's skill, and we moms can sit back and enjoy the show.

It's a busy time of year, but, more so, a joyful one. My second book release adds both to the stress and the joy.

While I am not able to post video images of our dancers, I will include here a video of a St. Patrick's day flash mob in Sydney, Australia.


2 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

My son's friends do that dancing with their kids (saw them in action at a baseball game). I think they're even going to Ireland this year for some kind of dance thing. It's very popular, isn't it?

Erin Kane Spock said...

It's been growing steadily internationally since Riverdance. There are all levels of the competition and it sounds like your son's friend may be going to All Irelands and hope to qualify for Worlds. That's a big deal. We're not at that level, but it's my eldest's goal (the youngest isn't as dedicated and that's okay). The style+athleticism+precision/technique+tradition+pageantry is one of a kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...