Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Working to Keep the Love Alive

http://onutzac.deviantart.com/art/We-belong-together-I-75403862
Relationships take work. They always start out with that initial spark of chemistry. That leads to infatuation (sometimes obsession). It is meant to be and everything is perfect. Eventually you make a commitment and things get serious. Everything is roses for a while, and you can think of nothing better than spending every breath in dedication to this love. Then things go downhill.

You notice small faults, things that just irk you for no good reason. But you'll look past them because the love is worth it. Working on that love become actual work. You start to resent it, wonder if you made the right choice. You can't help but notice the other options out there but, because of your code of honor, stay true. You made a comitment. A COMITTMENT! You weren't wrong, you just need to get past this rough patch and everything will be fine again. If only you could rediscover the spark again, remember how it exciting it used to be. But that other option is so intriguing. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt if you just flirted with the idea a little bit...

This has happened to me at the end of every work in progress. Each time I have had to force myself to stay true, to not stray from the path. In the immortal words of Pat Benetar,

Don't want to leave you really
I've invested too much time
To give you up that easy
To the doubts that complicate [my] mind.

Sigh. I will finish this book

3 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Clever girl. I didn't know if you were writing about your life, a book you were reading,or your own writing.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I believe you will finish it, too. Just as I will finish mine. As to when... ha ha!

Seriously, we can do it. Mine will be crap, but hey! I'll take that over an unfinished manuscript. It's all in the editing anyway!

Kathleen said...

Tricked me too, up until the last paragraph!
I love your inclusion of Pat Benetar in this post...I thought she really said "My" in the song....She doesn't?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...